Sunday, April 02, 2006

A Series of Fortunate Events



I seriously need some sleep. For the past few days, I have been out of the house most of the time. And just when I thought I would be able to finally spend most of my time with my bed and my hotdog pillow, my brother comes knocking on my door asking if I want to join him watch Urbandub and Up Dharma Down in Makati. Of course I couldn't resist such an offer. So even if I was already comfortably wrapped up with blanket, I immediately stood up to take a quick shower.



As expected, Urbandub and Up Dharma Down made sure I wouldn't regret my decision to come. However, there was one thing I did regret, which is drinking. Although I already predicted that for as long as I was with my mr.-bad-influence-brother, I would definitely have to drink. Or else my brother would kill me, for being a kill-joy. Nonetheless, I had a great time. Eventually we ended up leaving at around 1:30am.

So by the time I was reunited with my bed, you might think I was at last able to get my much awaited sleep. But no. As early as 8:OOam my Mom woke me up and told me we were going to Quiapo. Since I still had this hang-over, it took me a while to get out of my bed. All along I thought only the two of us were headed to Quiapo. Surprise surprise! My mr.-bad-influence-brother wanted to tag along too. Thus, two out of the three people who were destined to go to Quiapo on a Sunday morning had hang-over.

My mr.-bad-influence-brother did all the driving. For approximately 20 mins we were happy to discover the streets to be empty. But then the happiness didn't last that long. Why? Not because of some sudden traffic. But because we were lost! We were trapped in this narrow street full of shanties. Promise, you wouldn't want me to delve into details describing the place. And I was like, okay what the hell have we gotten ourselves in to? A few more meters of distance travelled, we came across a school named Mabini Elementary School. Out of nowhere my Mom shouts, "Ay dito pala ako nag-grade 1! Ang ganda na ng building!" So I was thinking we were already safe since my Mom was familiar with the place. The place where she took grade 1. Cute. True enough, after 10 minutes of finding our way out of the mess we were in, we found ourselves in Quiapo, particularly in the spot right under the bridge.



Mom apparently planned on purchasing small capiz lanterns for the newly renovated garage/entertainment hub. I haggled for some cheap yet classy ones that went for 35 pesos per piece. I told her to buy at least 40-50 pieces. That would be enough for the enormous mango tree we had beside the garage. Then, we searched for the store called Excellente Ham just around the corner, which sold delicious ham (duh!), bacon, and longganisa. Eventually we spotted it, thanks to some random locals who were kind enough to point the direction. My brother and I ended up carrying all the stuff my Mom bought. Not cute.

The load we were carrying were slowly becoming a pain in the ass so we decided to go back to the car and dump it all in the trunk. And then it hit me, "Diba mura mga Dvd dito?" Apparently my brother knew where they were sold so he led the way. We played the game of follow-the-leader. The moment my eyes witnessed the abundant dvds scattered in the streets, I instantly felt heaven. Imagine dvds falling from the sky. Paradise indeed. I didn't know how to start since literally they were just overwhelmingly too many. My brother and I found this stall which sold cool concert dvds. Brian (my brother) got himself a copy of Ryan Adams' concert dvd. He was already paying this guy when all of a sudden the guy said, "Sigurado ka gusto mo ito? Si Ryan Adamas ito ha. Hindi si Bryan Adams." I couldn't help but laugh. Sorry, I was rude. But come on, it couldn't get any better than that. Anyway, I got myself a copy of Reality Bites, Gone With The Wind, and Radiohead's concert dvd. All three for 120 pesos.



By the time we finished browsing the dvd paradise, our stomachs were already craving for food. Brian knew this great chinese restaurant in Binondo. We were in an adventurous mood anyway so we didn't have any second thoughts whatsoever. The food was awesome. And it was my first time to go to Binondo. By 3:00pm we were all done and had to go back home since my Mom still had to cook dinner. Early dinner that is. Since we eat dinner at around 5:30pm.

On the way home we took Espana. And then we saw Ramon Magsaysay High School. Out of the blue my mom shouts, "Uy! Diyan ako nag-high school! Wala pa ring nagbabago ah." Okay. There goes my mom with her never ending stories of her life. She began telling all these memories she had during her high school years. My brother and I had no choice but to just stare at each other... laugh in a low volume... and keep quiet for the next 15 minutes or so as we travelled back to what I call home-sweet-home.

No comments: