The barking of the dogs announced the beginning of a new day. Apparently my study table still looked the same way as it did the night before; all the readings for my economics100.1 class scattered and slightly crumpled. I dragged myself to the staircase, with each step seeming to decrease in pace. Ironic it seemed, since I have significantly lost weight and yet, I felt as if my body was the heaviest it has been.
I went straight to the kitchen where the dogs were. All three of them stormed their way towards me as if they just got out of jail. They kept on raising their front legs and wobbling their tails, desperately vying for my attention. Then it hit me that it has been a while since I took the time out to walk them around the village. I grabbed their leashes and put on their fabulous dresses. The four of us took as much fresh air as we could possibly get.
Brunch was already ready as we arrived. I ate relatively at the same pace as I did when I dragged myself down the staircase. Not because I wanted to savor every spoonful in my mouth, but because I was too focused on watching the leaves of the sampaloc tree slowly coming cheek to cheek with the ground. A new day had begun. However, what this day would bring, I had no idea. What I did know is that I had to finish up my homework before I attend the makeup class on accounting99.1 at 4pm.
As the time approached to 2pm, I finally gave up answering my accounting99.1 homework. I shoved my book aside, took of my glasses, and covered my face with my palms. The stress has really gotten in to me. I needed to do something different to get rid of this routine I was in. When I left my room, I accidentally overheard my mom talking to our maid, discussing what meals to prepare for dinner. Korean Beef Stew, my mom uttered those words. Almost instantly, I had a bright idea. I went back to my room, turned on the computer, and printed out the recipe for Kimchi Soup (putting my Korean influences to good use). With the recipe at hand, I approached mom at the kitchen table and said I wanted to cook Kimchi Soup before I go to school. Yesterday she went to the grocery so I assumed she bought Kimchi (we all heart Kimchi so Kimchi is always available in the ref). And she did. The recipe had a lot of ingredients that we did not have, so I decided to just put what was already available like: onions, garlic cloves, ginger, sesame oil, and beef stalk. As a kid I often watched my mom cook meals, which gave me a little confidence prior to being able to pull of a killer Kimchi Soup. Surprisingly, it did not take too long for me to finish. I had just enough time to take a shower and prepare my stuff before going to class.
Wearing shorts and a plain shirt, I entered the class. Unfortunately, it was freezing inside. How nice. Although it was weird since it was not always like that. In fact, whenever I would wear a jacket going to class, I would eventually be forced to take it off. Nonetheless, all that really mattered in my mind was that when I get home, my Kimchi Soup would be waiting for me. Deep inside I wanted to tell the professor, "Ppalli gayo!" (In English, Go faster!)
Sitting at the dinning table, Roy was devouring the Kimchi Soup. Right then and there I realized I wanted to pursue cooking as a career. Joke! I grabbed a bowl of rice to accompany the soup. Like any other character in a Korean series would do when he/she is stressed. (Ha-ha)
Until I realized I had loads of work to do in preparation for the test on Friday, my thoughts were of how this day had unfolded.
No comments:
Post a Comment